New to the area (Introduction)

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Sep 25 00:46:48 MST 2006

Am 23. Sep, 2006 schwätzte Steve White so:

> Greetings.
>
> I am new to the Phoenix area recently transplanted from Los Angeles.  I was a

Welcome to Phoenix!

> lurker on a couple of the LUG lists out there posting occasionally.  While I
> am not a complete noob when it comes to Linux, I have a lot to learn.  Now
> that I have time (still looking for work out here) I'd like to seriously
> begin learning Linux.
>
> I'd love to come to the install-fest, but I may have another commitment on
> that day so perhaps the next one.
>
> I have a job lined up to do phone tech support.  It will be enough to pay
> bills but it isn't what I was doing out in CA.
>
> I have 7+ years experience dealing with all aspects of Windows networks -
> both server and workstation - as well as handling all data and
> telephone/mobile telephone communications as the IT Manager for the company I
> was with. That plus an MBA doesn't seem to be getting me much attention out
> here.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated as I know exceedingly few people in the area.

I see that you're on the west side. Please show up to our meeting Tuesday
night if you have time. It's right next to I-17 and Bell. We will be
covering hugin classroom-style and I got notice today that we'll also have
something on the GIMP.

Since you're coming from .ca.us I presume you know about craigslist.com,
but maybe you don't know that there's one for Phoenix.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/

In that area ( quite possibly where you're working ) USAA recently opened
a new call center. I would think they're looking for some infrastructure (
tech, mgt, hr ) people as well as call center reps.

Contact Red Seven, http://www.RedSevenLinux.com/, and see if they're
hiring. They had a position open recently, but I heard that they might've
filled it.

PetSmart HQ is up there and they use *NIX, but as it has been described to
me for years, it's definitely a place to avoid working.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom.
#  It is not always an easy sacrifice.