Installing Ubuntu on old hardware

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 15:46:44 MST 2006

I'll reply to myself - the sever requires 64 megabytes / 500 megabytes. Yeah!!!

keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote: Thanks to everyone.  You guys are great.  I'm surprised that Linux or should I say KDE or Gnome would require 192MB RAM.

Boy am I surprised.

I do have 256MB RAM in the one machine I want to put X on so I should be fine.

I started to install Fedora desktop a while ago and it took forever so I aborted.  I guess I was expecting 30min like Potato was.

So what do I do with my AMD100/64MB RAM machine?  It's got 4GIG swappable drives.

You guys are great!

Thanks,
Keith

Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
  That is correct.  The main Ubuntu projects are:

   Ubuntu( Gnome )
   Kubuntu( KDE )
   Xubuntu( Xfce )
   Edubuntu( for Educational Purposes )

  Ubuntu is a qualitative leap in  the way that Linux distros have been organized in the past.  There are lots of laws and organization, and it shows.  Ubuntu is great.  Can't wait for Edgy!

 -jmz

On 9/24/06, Slide <slide.o.mix at gmail.com> wrote: On 9/24/06, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I kinda lost track of where Linux has gone.  My last install was Debian
> Potato say 3 years ago maybe longer.  Have had some dealings at the command
> line on other's Unix or Linux but have not done much for myself.
>
> So how many Ubutu's are there.  I've heard of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and just
> plain old  Ubuntu?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith

I believe there is also a Edubuntu geared towards the education
sector. You can see all the info you could ever want about .*ubuntu at
http://www.ubuntulinux.org .

slide

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective;  ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com  ---------------------------------------------------

Keith Smith
http://travelingcheese.com/search_engine/increase-search-engine-traffic.html