Phoenix Linux Users Group Installfest - Saturday, September 30, 2006, University of Advancing Technology

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 20:09:39 MST 2006

On 9/22/06, eric <ericlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there anything like this held on Wednesdays or Sundays?  With my job,
> those are generally the only two days I have free.  The days I work, it's
> generally from around 8am to 9pm or so (gotta love that paycheck tho :D)
>
> I'm not a first time user of Linux, but my installs are usually week long
> affairs, and it would nice to be able to get a semi-working machine in one
> evening.  My latest run at it will be to set up a file and web server out
> of
> an old Thinkpad R40.  Yeah, I know, laptops make terrible servers, but
> it's
> a machine that would be sitting idle otherwise.  The only catch -
> something
> died in the power supply, no longer supplying power to the backlight.

Eric,

 Thinkpads( and most IBM hardware ) work very well with most Linux distros(
RedHat or Ubuntu should not be much more effort than inserting CD and
following instructions ).  I recommend Ubuntu.

 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/ThinkpadR40-2681

  -jmz

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com