Mail server recommendations?

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Sep 21 07:41:20 MST 2006

I whole heartedly agree. To look at the source and patches and all, it's
pretty ugly. I'd sure hate to assemble a qmail system from scratch.

I do like the architectural design of qmail though. Very modular. I've toyed
with the idea of writing a next-generation MTA, maybe called rmail (r comes
after q and stands for Ruby!).

tickticker wrote:
> Eric,
>
> My opinion is most assuradley dated!  And you are correct, the add-ons
> do add value.  However, as fantastic as contributors have made qmail
> toaster, nothing would beat updating the source.
>
> Tickticker
>

>>> Qmail is horrible to setup, and the gentleman who wrote it hasn't
>>> updated it in years, and the custom licensing will not allow addition
>>> of any of the NUMEROUS fixes and updates or a new version (last time
>>> i bothered to look) to the source.  Might work great at sending mail,
>>> but not worth the effort IMHO (even with that toaster setup, if it's
>>> still around).
>>

>> I think this is a dated opinion. Installing the toaster today is
>> simply a matter of running a few scripts (granted, it can take a while
>> to compile everything). It also includes simscan, spamassassin,
>> clamav, and a host of other add-ons that are already added in.

-Eric 'shubes'