CUPS printing: server and client?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 20 22:26:16 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 21:36 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:

> Alan Dayley wrote:
> > I need to configure printing from one computer to another.  The computer
> > that will be the server is running OpenSUSE 10.1 as is the client.  The
> > server has a USB printer attached and working just fine via CUPS.
> >
> > I tried to configure both the server and client with Yast2 but the
> > client computer could not see the server.  So, after the failure of the
> > "tinkering with little knowledge method" I am looking for to do it right.
> >
> > Are there any good tutorials for this sort of thing?  So far I have
> > found a few that treat it as if there will be no problems.  I'll keep
> > looking.
> >
> > Any tips and hints are welcome.  I'll get going on it again and post
> > specific questions as I encounter them.
> >

> Well, that was easy after all.
>
> Using this page http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/print/507
> for hints, I confirmed the server setup under Yast.  I then cranked up
> the KDE print manager on the client and told it the IP of the server.  A
> few clicks and choices later I was able to print a test page.
----
properly configured cups server with shared cups queues are
automatically discovered by other cups users without a single click.

Let me put it another way...I have a server running Red Hat ES 3.8 - it
is a cups server for several printers. My other Linux boxes and all of
the Macintosh computers running OSX see and can print to those printers
just by choosing print (no setup required).

Craig