Mail server recommendations?

tickticker tickticker at cox.net
Wed Sep 20 14:49:40 MST 2006

My 2 cents,

Postfix and Exim are the easiest to setup and handle most anything you
will need it for.  While i've set em all up, hands down these just work
and handle large (enough)amounts of traffic, unless you have massive
amounts of users like a medium sized isp or larger.

Qmail is horrible to setup, and the gentleman who wrote it hasn't
updated it in years, and the custom licensing will not allow addition of
any of the NUMEROUS fixes and updates or a new version (last time i
bothered to look) to the source.  Might work great at sending mail, but
not worth the effort IMHO (even with that toaster setup, if it's still
around).

Sendmail is dated, someone difficult to configure (recompile with every
setting change), and probably the most insecure as the beast has evolved
over the years. also runs like a champ.

be sure to pipe everything through spamassassin and Clamav and maybe
even Anomy or somesuch other attachment control. Amavisd comes to mind
as well for this.  there are others, and i will not knock 'em.

I'm not an email administrator, I just play one at client sites.

Tickticker
<http://cyborg.namedecoder.com>