Laptop Wifi recommendation (cardbus)

Eric Richardson ekr at amug.org
Tue Sep 19 15:13:24 MST 2006

Hi,

I guess I don't really need wap2. Compusa has a card for $10 that can
be used for Linux - I forget which driver but...

In general for this topic, it seems that if you have intel hardware
and use ndiswrapper you can use the native driver from windows for
just about any hardware. For Texas Instruments hardware you can use
acx100.sf.net which is Open Source but uses proprietary drivers as
well which is the same for Intel Centrino style. Also, atheros based
hardware and uses a proprietary Hardware Abstraction Layer(HAL). Some
other manufactures seem to provide a Linux driver but since they
can't legally link to the kernel I don't know how they do that
exactly. Anyway, I care to stay as far away as I can from that so the
Free Software friendly hardware I found is made by Ralink http://
ralinktech.com/ and uses the rt2x00.serialmonkey.com driver. There is
a list of cards at   http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/
cards.html. This link points to http://ralink.rapla.net which is a
bit more thorough.

So I guess I will try to find one off of that list.

Eric