Linux Java Development?

Patrick C patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 21:09:37 MST 2006

Thanks, all, for your suggestions!

I've actually tried a little BlueJ at school, and here's what I think of it
+good for testing, IMO, because it makes it very easy/user friendly, and
it's easy to make input.
-very annoying to actually type out code in, because the editor is in a
separate window, annoying layout, etc.
+very easy to see what classes refer to each other, nice graphical
representation, etc.

I do, in fact, have multiple desktops. Thanks to the SabayonLinux team, I am
actually running XGL, so I have that sexy cube, as well ;).

On the grander scale, here is what I gather from your (everybody's advice):
-focus on the language, or programming logic itself, but not the IDE
-keep up with the advancements, as it can make things a lot easier.

Also, I know I'm already using the IDE as a crutch when I don't know the
commands to run(compile?) Java source without clicking some sort of run
button. What is the actual command for this?

Also (again): does anyone have an opinion of GTK vs. Qt? The class prior to
this was Windows Programming, which I assume was there just to learn some
very basic programming concepts the easy way with vs.NET. In that class I
made a simple GUI Hangman game. I'm interested in rewriting/cloning this for
Linux, and I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks again for the prompt responses, keen interest, and solid advice!