Wireless best practices

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Sun Sep 17 23:35:49 MST 2006

I'm having cable put in, so I wanted to make sure my ship was as tight as
possible first.  Up til now, aside from a disasterous attempt to share a 56k
connection, the network has been for file and printer sharing only.

Current Network configuration:  Two desktop PCs on wireless, one networkable
printer via Ethernet.  Possibly an on-again-off-again wireless laptop.

Right now, I suspect IP numbers are being assigned by DHCP

The router/hub/waffle iron is a Linksys WRT54G version 2.  Apparently very
popular.

The network configuration:
-Two desktop PCs with $19 802.11g PCI cards.  Likely peak configuration will
be four desktops.  These PCs will be running Windows (2000 SP4 / XP
gold-master / 98SE o.O) at least part time.

-One, possibly worst-case two laptops with 802.11 cards.

-One HP LaserJet 5, hanging off Ethernet.

Wireless security in place:

WEP with a 112-bit key.  SSID changed from the default.  SSID broadcast
disabled.  MAC filter set to "allow specific cards only" and filled in with the two
PCI cards and one prehistoric PCMCIA 802.11b card I have in my near-dead
laptop.

Is there anything else I should be doing to keep wardrivers at bay?

And how do I set the WRT54G's firewall, both in terms of where are the
controls and what are reasonable values?

Or is it moot and the "default" Cox modem the bloke is bringing also
supplants the router?  If so, are there a specific list of best practices for that
setup?