Transfer home directory?

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sun Sep 17 06:07:40 MST 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 10:49:11PM -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Using tar is already in my plan.  I once did such a thing with scp.  All
> the file dates and permissions changed.  Not a big deal except for a few
> situations where I could not longer tell which file was older than the
> other.

FYI, scp has a nice -p option to preserve that info. Couldn't live
without it!

If you have scads of little files then tar is your friend, as that'll
take a lot of extra time with plain scp -rp. If that 11GB is made of
files in the MB range then scp will make good enough use of bandwidth.
If the large files aren't already compressed then using -C with scp will
also help a lot.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |