Scanner Recommendations

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Sat Sep 16 18:28:42 MST 2006

On Friday 15 September 2006 13:44, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Thanks Ben I just saw the LiDE 25 on the sane-supported list and at
> amazon. I think that's what I'm going to go with.

Carl,

One thing you should be aware of, any of the "thin" scanners like the Canon
that are powered from the USB port and don't require an external power supply
use a different scanning technology (CIS vs. CCD 1) than the "thicker" AC
powered scanners.

The downside is that they have a very narrow depth of field and any curved
object, say an open book won't scan well.  Basically these scanners will only
work with very flat copy.  CCD scanners work better with 3D opjects.  Try
your watch or a leaf sometime.

Sane has good support for most scanners.  Googling on "sane <insert scanner
brand & model here>" should quickly tell you if the scanner you are looking
at is well supported.

Dennis
1. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1157540,00.asp
2. (http://www.sane-project.org