Rob Levin, AKA lilo, of FreeNode & PDPC has passed away

Edward Norton r00t3d at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 15:57:44 MST 2006

More info from #freenode-announce:
See also http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/09/16/2152243.shtml

christel> Ok, first off, this is not a hoax
christel> Rob was riding his bike on tuesday when he was hit by a car, he
has spent the last few days at the neuro trauma ICU at a local hospital
christel> where he has been in a coma
christel> the news reached us this morning that Rob passed away early today
christel> Rob is survived by wife Debbie and son Benjamin
christel> and we ask that you all respect their privacy at this difficult
time
christel> Robs funeral is most likely to be monday afternoon, although we
have yet to get confirmation as Debs is waiting to hear from the MEs office
that it can go ahead as planned
christel> and for those local, wishing to show their respects at his
funeral, we ask that you email staff at freenode.net and we will try direct you
as we can
christel> We will take some questions now and try answer them in channel, it
would be appreciated if those with questions message beu, and we will answer
on channel
christel> thank you
christel> the first question we've had is "What happens to freenode?"
beu> to answer the "who verified this?" question, members of freenode staff
have been in contact with Rob's family over the past few days
christel> it is Debs wishes that freenode keeps running as close to normal
as possible, and we will be working with the PDPC board to ensure that the
network keeps running
beu> we are currently formulating an announcement and hope to have it online
soon, in addition to an online "book of condolences"
christel> it has also been asked why lilos client is still connected
christel> i am sure you will all agree that at this point in time, we feel
uncomfortable killing his client and find the mere idea rather morbid
christel> Robs nicknames will be quarantined to prevent abuse.
christel> A lot of people have asked how they can help
christel> Debs requests has been that people who knew Rob could donate to
PDPC in his memory, or those wishing to make a more general contribution
could give something to a bicycle safety campaign in their area.