Faking out web servers

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Sat Sep 16 11:10:46 MST 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 10:33:35AM -0700, Eric Shubes wrote:
> When I go to http://all-access.cstv.com/cstv/player/player.html?code=osu to
> listen to the OSU game, I get the following obnoxious message:
>
> We're Sorry
> But you will need Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on the following systems in
> order to enjoy All-Access:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP Home/Professional SP2, Windows XP Media Center 2005,
> Windows 2000 SP4; Media Player 9 or 10.
>
> Click here if you're a Mac user.
>

> I seem to remember talk about changing a setting in firefox to make the
> server think that I'm using IE. Any pointers on this?

I believe there's an extension that'll let you choose who you want to
look like, and even keep settings by site.

I did it the "hard" way a few months ago on my wife's computer so she
could access a Windows-only site. I added the user agent string I wanted
to about:config. Don't remember just what it was, and I can't look right
now. I think I may have posted it the last time this came up, so you
might try checking the list archives.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |