How to get printing via cups to work with wine?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Sat Sep 16 10:10:14 MST 2006

.
How can one get printing via cups to work with wine?

According to http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wineusr-guide/index
"3.3.4. Printers -- Wine can interact directly with the CUPS
printing system to find the printers available on your system.
Configuring printers with Wine is as simple as making sure your
CUPS configuration works."

But regrettably, this is not proving to be true.

And searching the 'net, including Google Groups re 'wine' I see
that a lot of people (but not everyone) seem to have this problem.

Printing via cups works fine with all of my Linux applications.
But when I try to print from any windows application started
via wine (even the simplest, i.e. notepad.exe), I see this error
message:

   "Cannot print" ... and ... "No printers installed."

Not true.  Printers are installed and working via cups.

So, what do I need to do to get wine to see cups?