Testing Mono's compatibility

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 11:48:13 MST 2006

On 9/14/06, Jeff Garland <jeff at crystalclearsoftware.com> wrote:

> > Just to clarify, all of the Java platform standards(J2SE, J2EE, J2ME, and all their components)
> > are based on JSR's (Java Specification Request).  All of which are vetted by the Java Community
> > Process (JCP) which is an independent(although Sun provides program management and some legal
> > support) organization that controls and manages the Java platform specifications (www.jcp.org).
> > JCP Executive Committee members include, among others, HP, Google, Oracle, Apache, Intel, Sony,
> > Samsung, and IBM, some of whom have pledged to ensure that the JSR's remain available for all
> > compatible implementations.  With that much corporate muscle behind the JCP, it's highly
> > unlikely that Sun could ever successfully pack up Java and carry it away, even if they wanted to.
> > All "standard" elements of the Java platform are controlled by the JCP.  The only thing Sun still
> > owns in total is the Java trademark (which they have pledged to use only to maintain the "write once
> > run anywhere(r)" promise, much as Linus pledges to use the Linux trademark only to promote GNU/Linux).

  Jeff,

    I am familiar with the two sides of this debate... but I never
really considered it worthwhile to familiarize myself with the legal
codes of the JCP.  Exactly what rights does Sun reserve over the JCP?
How is it possible for them to exert control over Java?

   I do consider most of Joseph Sinclair's points to be true.  Sun has
certainly been the most progressive company in their approach to OSS(
mainly due to necessity ).  For those who are not involved with Java,
JCP is like the *Java Parliament*.

  Getting back to the original topic, Microsoft/.NET has nothing that
even resembles JCP.  In comparing .NET and Java for the PLUG audience,
Java is clearly more OSS friendly.  I find Microsoft's dealings with
ECMA to be suspect, possibly an attempt to make .NET OSS in name.  The
only way I would accept a Microsoft product as OSS would be in their
adoption of the GPL.

   In your defense, I would point out that Sun did show a high level
of desperation and willingness to compromise community values with
their actions towards JBoss.  They are in worse shape today than they
were in 2002...

  Sincerely,

    Joshua Zeidner

--
.0000. communication.
.0001. development.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com