Testing Mono's compatibility

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 17:43:14 MST 2006

> jjzeidner at gmail.com writes:
> >  Don't touch ASP.NET... its pure evil.
>
> Thank you for that wonderfully useful comment.

  No problem.

> Our business frequently involves working with existing sites' codebases, and
> that means what languages they've decided to adopt.  If we can have a test
> environment which doesn't involve requiring access to or meddling with their live
> server, everyone's happy.

  Microsoft makes sure that it is far too costly to straddle that
technological rift.  Making sure there is little or no skills or code
overlap is one way of making sure that people don't think twice about
using their platform.  Mono may work well right now, and broad
compliance will be maintained until:

  1) Microsoft gains a majority share in this market at which point
they will then try to incentivize the adoption of their other
technologies by offering selective compatibility.
  2) Microsoft deems Mono+ASP.NET to be unprofitable.

 Well see....

> I fully expect our next client will have developed a site with Fortran Server
> Pages on a CP/M-86 webserver (hmm... sounds like it would be Slashdotted on
> principle)

  Many OSS technologies have held up quite well over time.  Perl, for
instance, is still a viable technology.

--
.0000. communication.
.0001. development.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com