Dealing with SPAM WAS has my system been compromised?

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Sep 13 09:12:54 MST 2006

JT Moree wrote:

> Alex Dean wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 2006, at 9:08 PM, Michael wrote:
>>
>>> I just got an email from a spam blocker. I think my system has been
>>> compromised. What should I do to fix this?
>> Faking the 'From' address on an email is about as hard as faking the
>> return address on a paper letter.  Anybody can write an email and say
>> it's 'from' you.  Not much you can do about it.
>
> Has anyone used SPF (http://www.openspf.org/) or other email
> identification schemes.  Yahoo had one (domain keys
> http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys) and Microsoft had one.
>
> - --
> JT Morée
> PC Xperience, Inc.

I've used both with my qmail-toaster.

SPF seems to work ok, but I can't tell when/how often it kicks in. From my
(limited) observation, it doesn't seem to be widely used.

Many list servers have problems with domainkeys (they change the header,
invalidating the key). As a result, I sign outgoing emails, but am not
checking them on incoming at this time.

--
-Eric 'shubes'