CrossOver Server Distro Recomendations

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Wed Sep 13 08:41:07 MST 2006

George wrote:
> Looking for a good Distro for a new Linux convert (Sys Admin with very
> strong Windows server background) to host 100+ CrossOver Office clients.
>
> I lean towards Debian which gives rise to the question as to which
> flavor (Pure Debian, Ubuntu, XandROS  ... etc.).
>
> Suggestions with supporting reasons please.
>
> TIA, George

When you say that the server is hosting COO clients, I presume you're not
talking about thin clients ('dumb' workstations), but rather an SMB (samba)
network.

 From an operational standpoint, I don't really think it really matters much
at all which distro the server runs. From an admin standpoint, I would think
you'd want to have the server and clients in the same 'family'.

If the convert desires to pay for commercial support, RHEL or SuSE are the
main choices, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

I'm guessing too that stability and ease of maintenance is a high priority.

I'd recommend choosing the clients' distro first, and the server distro will
pretty much choose itself.

--
-Eric 'shubes'

P.S. I'd probably end up choosing CentOS (RHEL with the name changed). It's
very stable (no bleeding edge), and it's kickstart capability is well suited
for rolling out large numbers of workstation clones. Admittedly, SuSE and
Debian probably have this capability too, I just don't know.