Reliable file transfer?

Alex LeDonne aledonne.listmail at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 08:51:45 MST 2006

On 9/12/06, Victor Odhner <vodhner at cox.net> wrote:
> Alex LeDonne wrote:
> > To reduce the overhead, you could NFS (or SMB) mount the dir with the
> > file on the target box, then just use cp to copy. Given the local
> > router, is encrypting the transfer necessary? Does the source box have
> > an ftp or http server running? If so you could transfer the file that
> > way.
> Thanks.  I'd have to reconfigure to make any of these work.
> I gave up on Samba months ago, after a long battle.
>
> Do any of these methods actually perform a reliable transfer?

Nope. What about rsync? Presumably, if you have a completed transfer
that is "close", rsync will minimize the traffic required to get the
target file synced with the source. If I understand rsync correctly.

It does partial checksums along the way, so that may be the reliable
transfer you're looking for.

-A