spamd vs. spamassassin

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Mon Sep 11 15:52:32 MST 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:38:07AM -0700, Nathan England wrote:

> I do not have spamd running at all. Procmailrc calls /usr/bin/spamassassin
> It is better to run spamd instead? In which case, do I remove the procmail
> part?

spamd/spamc should be functionally equivalent to spamassassin, but
*should* use less overhead. You should probably be using them.

There are several ways to use spamassassin with various MTAs. The simple
setup I've used with spamd/spamc is to put something like this in
/etc/procmailrc:

:0fw
| /usr/local/bin/spamc

which filters the mail through spamassassin and (important!) waits for
it to finish. Then later procmail stuff can act on X-Spam-Status, etc.

At this point, though... If you're asking these questions I recommend
you read more spamassassin documentation. You'll get much better results
from it if you spend some time getting to know it and configure it,
train then bayesian stuff well, etc, etc.

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |