Thoughts on Gentoo

Alexander Henry alexanderhenry at cox.net
Mon Sep 11 14:31:21 MST 2006

chip33az at netscape.net wrote:
> Do you have gst-plugins-gnomevfs installed?
>
> I haven't used Gentoo in quite a while, but Rhythmbox is dependent on
> the gstreamer program (as are most Gnome media applications).  I would
> verify that you have the gstreamer plug-ins installed.

Default ALSA works for me, as long as I set the volume up.

A suggestion may be that you don't have the right sound driver compiled
in your kernel, then the right configuration (in Linux, not setting the
volume in ALSA above zero is a cliche).

The RTFM's should be approached in this order, first Google the
gentoo.org website, then gentoo-wiki, then the web itself for exact
error messages, then try the #gentoo* chatrooms on freenet.  I've always
landed an answer on one or another, and there's just more expertise out
there than on the PLUG list.  I even managed to break portage once at
2am while drunk, and got it back on track with help from the chat rooms
to continue my emerge -e world.  (I was doing something extreme.  I
never learned how to re-link gcc when it updates, so everything was
emerged with a very old gcc, not to mention non-athlon t-bird settings,
so I had to recompile everything.  I didn't start this procedure while
drunk, it just got interrupted while I was drunk 8).

The safe flags can be found here:  http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

I've never debugged sound to a large degree, so I have no suggestions
other than the research order.

I'm trying compiles with -Os.  I'm thinking, what's faster, a loop
in-cache which jumps and misses a few cycles in a jump, or a 1000-time
unrolled loop which always misses cache?  I have no evidence, but hey I
can do it, so I do :).

--
Alexander