Cheap Linux-Friendly Dialup in Phoenix?

Mike Schwartz mike.l.schwartz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 12:48:19 MST 2006

On 9/11/06, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> vodhner at cox.net wrote:
> > Well, Cox has bumped their low-end access from about $24 to more like
> $30 monthly, blowing my friend's disability-check budget.
> >
> > He mentioned NetZero but I think they require a special Windows client
> -- and I know that such clients claim to boost effective connection speed
> with added compression and caching features.
> >
> > So if I'm trying to keep him running on Linux, what's his best bet?  I'd
> like to keep his bill no higher than about $20 for connect +
> mailbox.  Performance features would be nice, but keeping him off Windows --
> priceless!
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice.  See P.S. below regarding his setup.
> >
> > Vic
> >
> > P.S. -- I've dual-booted his XP doorstop with Feather Linux.  I was
> interested to see that XP Pro works OK on a Pentium II with 130 MB of memory
> (taking 2:50 to boot up) but Ubuntu, Linspire and a bunch of others did not
> manage to come up effectively.  I was real happy with Feather Linux, a Slax
> derivitive:  came up clean, detected everything, and runs real snappy.
> > PLUG-discuss [...]
>
> FastQ has dialup that works with linux (one of my friends uses it on
> linux).
> Toll Free: 1.877.983.2787
> http://www.fastq.com/resdialup.php
>

> --
> JD Austin
> Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC
> email: jd at twingeckos.com
> http://www.twingeckos.com
> phone/fax: 480.288.8195

> PLUG-discuss [...]
>

> keep his bill no higher than about $20 for connect + mailbox

Other previous replies give example[s] of
a cheap ISP so I guess that takes care of the "connect"
(I still use NetZero "Platinum" dialup, 9.95/mo.) ;
My 0.02:
For "mailbox", I use, and recommend, either
yahoo.com or gmail.
I used to use Yahoo [more], and it was fine
until I started to subscribe to this list
(which is now responsible for  more than half of
 all of my incoming e-mail).
Then, I switched to gmail because it has a
"threaded" feature (like a news reader)
where each thread is called a "conversation", - -
as long as you don't change the subject.
I prefer that, since a huge "conversation" now
only takes up 1 slot in my IN box.
With yahoo or gmail, the "mailbox" part
would be free [as in free beer] - right?
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ
schwartz at acm.org