Why am I not able to install libgcj6?.msg

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Sep 11 12:31:41 MST 2006

.
Thanks to all PLUG friends who offered suggestions
for solving the subject subject issue ... but after
several days of chasing this problem, I still did not
have a solution ... until I received the following reply
from someone at MandrivaExpert.com:

> To install a single package, you can use:
> "rpm -i --nodeps name_of_package.rpm"
> It won't verify the dependencies. urpmi is better in most
> cases as it automatically installs all the dependencies.

--------------------------------------
FWIW, here's a recap of the background:

KevinO wrote:
> # urpmi libgcj6-4.0.1-5mdk
> That should take off dependencies and all.

Unfortunately, that didn't work.

Then I wrote a follow-up note/inquiry:
> Sorry I'm so dense, but I am still in a fog about what to do here.
> From the above comments, is this the actual command I need to use:
> # urpmi.removemedia -a
> I have not yet run the above command, but I went to the
> easyurpmi.zarb.org but could not understand what to do there or how
> to do it. I saw" "proceed to step two" and a check box for this:
> "Show specific sources too"
> But how is one supposed to know what sources to choose.

I'd still like to know how to do what was suggested here,
but in the meantime, the suggestion described at the top
of this message got me past the installation obstacle.