Linux Computer Names not found

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Sep 7 21:47:38 MST 2006

Dazed_75 wrote:

>  > On 9/7/06, Eric Shubes <plug at shubes.net <mailto:plug at shubes.net>> wrote:
>
>  > > On FC5, $HOSTNAME appears to be set in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
>  > > Of course, rc.d and rc.sysinit don't appear to exist on ubuntu.
>
>  From the Ubuntu Policy Manual:
> 9.3.4 Boot-time initialization
>
> There used to be another directory, /etc/rc.boot, which contained
> scripts which were run once per machine boot. This has been deprecated
> in favour of links from /etc/rcS.d to files in /etc/init.d as described
> in Introduction, Section 9.3.1. Packages must not place files in
> /etc/rc.boot.
>
> /etc/rcS.d/S02hostname@ sets HOSTNAME to the contents of /etc/hostname
> (very short description) and S40networking@ uses /sbin/ifup -a to
> initialize the network interfaces according to /etc/network/interfaces
> which (on this system) contains:
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
> # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
> auto eth0
>
> # The primary network interface
> iface eth0 inet dhcp

There is no /etc/rcS.d/S02hostname file on my system, which explains why
# grep -r HOSTNAME /etc/rc?.d
turned up nada. That still doesn't tell you where /etc/hostname comes from,
either.

Why /sbin/ifup is a binary on ubuntu I know not. On FC5 it's a script.

I can't say I'm thrilled with ubuntu. Oh, but I'm sure it's more efficient! :(
--
-Eric 'shubes'