Website contributions (Was: Re: The site is down)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Sep 7 17:11:48 MST 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 12:12:54PM -0700, der.hans wrote:

> I used to do sysadm topics and got lots of complaints that no one cared
> about them, so I stopped giving them.

Let me guess... you did this at one of the general meetings?

I'm not exactly sure where to draw a line for what belongs in the SA
realm, but I think most of the PhxBUG topics would qualify. We're slowly
but steadily increasing attendance. There should be more SA interest
with Linux instead of BSD just due to numbers, right?

> The magazine format Brian suggested and that we're trying to follow at the
> east side meetings is an attempt to do both.
>
> We're trying to generally have 3 topics. One for newbie/desktop stuff. One
> for somewhat advance, hopefully building on a previous newbie/desktop
> topic. And finally, one that's advanced or special interest.
>
> We could have one of the 3 topics eat the time for one of the others or
> even occasionally have one topic take up the whole night.
>
> I expect the mars presentation we haven't yet announced to take the whole
> night :).

So every meeting has something for everyone. And maybe 2 of 3 topics of
no interest for each individual. ;) Seriously, though, it's a nice idea
and I'd like it better than an evening devoted to using GIMP.

Here's the thing. I *like* the developer meetings. Even when there's not
much of a presentation the room is still full of developers, and
interesting (to me) development chit-chat. I think that others would
feel the same way if there were other SIGs in their area of interest.

You've been doing this a long time, and have been pretty darned
successful at it. I don't mean to tell you your business. Just wanted to
tell you what would make PLUG better for me. :)

dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |