Spamassassin tricks

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 16:40:26 MST 2006

Take a few minutes to check out the headers of the mail that's slipping past
your filtration.
Look for tests that are consistently hitting but not getting mail up over
your limit.
You can get a full list of all tests performed here (there's three diff
pages, make sure your version matches):
http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests_3_1_x.html
You then are left with some judgement calls on whether you agree with the
default test point settings.
I've opted to customize the following scores.

score   HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_24      5.0
score   DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06    2.0
score   US_DOLLARS_3            2.0
score   RAZOR2_CHECK            2.0
score   RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100  3.0
score   ALL_TRUSTED             0.0

I'd recommend that you not make any changes without a solid history of
underscoring backing your decision.
Once you've made your changes keep a close eye on what's getting tagged with
your rescored rules.
It's very easy to tag legit mail as spam.
Also ensure that you'd not deleting spam, just move it to alternate folder.
This way if you screw something up at some point, your users still have a
recourse.
Using whitelists also makes it a lot easier to clamp down hard on spam
without increasing your false-positive count.
I'd recommend using whitelist_from_rcvd.

perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

-steve