process limits

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 6 21:57:25 MST 2006

Am 04. Sep, 2006 schwätzte David so:

> Does anyone know of an accurate way to get the number of processes that a
> user is running?  'ps' doesnt seem up to the task.
>
> The reason I ask is because I was woken up at 3am the other day due to one of
> our oracle servers freaking out.  Apparently, it had hit the soft limit on
> the  number of processes it was allowed.  ulimit -u shows 2048 (previously).
> ps -aux | grep oracle only shows about 150 or so, though. Changing the nproc
> soft limit to 4096 fixed the issue (done in /etc/security/limits.conf).

Could it be that they all died off?

ps should show all the processes.

Walk /proc/$numbers yourself and see if there are any that aren't coming
up in ps.

Does Oracle have a process limit in its config?

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  Wer bereit ist, grundlegende Freiheiten aufzugeben, um sich
#  kurzfristige Sicherheit zu verschaffen, der hat weder Freiheit
#  noch Sicherheit verdient.  --  Benjamin Franklin  (1706 - 1790)