Linux Computer Names not found

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Wed Sep 6 11:51:34 MST 2006

> On 9/6/06, Mike <stuff at dustsmoke.com> wrote:
>> As for getting the name to show up on a dhcp server, (e.g. the linksys)
>> if your using the dhcp3 client on linux you just need to add something
>> like
>> send host-name "computername";
>> to your /etc/dhclient.conf or /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>>

>> This did fix the name showing for the DHCP Client list on the router.
>> For
> Ubuntu 6.06 it was in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf as you said.  I find it
> difficult to believe this in not standard behaviour for a DHCP client.  I
> also find it very ugly that one would have to manually edit that file for
> each machine in the local net.  Problem solved but there has to be a
> better
> way.  Thanks Mike!

You would think so wouldn't you? Seems like you 'should' be able to just
tell it to send /etc/hostname..... Or it should just do this by default
which it doesn't. At one point I saw a script to pull this off in a
hackish manner. But I haven't figured out how to get it to do the way it
seems like it should work. Personally I have dhcpd and bind setup with a
stub zone from my public domain for my local segment. For my static leases
assigned by mac it sending the hostname or not doesn't matter, but for the
dynamic pool that also has ddns setup on it. This is a problem if the
thing doesn't send the hostname. It'll still work just fine without it but
an A record doesn't get created in the forward and reverse zones without
it.

Its not something thats limited to a linksys dhcp feature. It shows up
everywhere. I haven't looked too hard but if you figure out how to make it
send /etc/hostname or something along those lines... Let me know.

-Mike