Linux Computer Names not found

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 5 05:49:48 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 22:11 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> Whether I look at the DHCP Clients Table on my Linksys WRT54G, a
> Network Neighborhood window in XP, a nbtstat -c or net view command
> result in a command window, or a servers list in Ubuntu I only see
> names for my Windows boxes and my TiVo unit.  The Linux boxes show up
> in the DHCP client list of course but sans any name at all.  I can
> ping the windows boxes by name from another windows box but not from
> Linux.
>
> 1) What makes the router recognize the box names for clients other
> than Linux?  Can something in Linux be configured so the router knows
> their names?
----
wins/netbios - Linux uses DNS

It has nothing to do with the router per se.

What you can do is edit /etc/hosts and put entries with short names
.i.e.

# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.2.10            lin-workstation.azapple.com lin-workstation
192.168.2.20            win-workstation.azapple.com win-workstation
----
> 2) I am guessing that the windows ping command gets box names from
> something other than DNS or the HOSTS file.  Anyone know what?  Or if
> Linux is using that ability (via Samba?) to find the Windows Network
> boxes?  Could that facility be used to make the Linux box names known
> to Windows boxes?
----
see above

Craig