Which mp3 player to use?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Mon Sep 4 09:58:14 MST 2006

Josef Lowder wrote:
> .
> Which mp3 player is best to use?
>
> On my system, I see all these: KsCD, Amarok, Aumix, Grip, KAudioCreator, KMix,
> RoseGarden, and Sound Recorder ... but no xmms.
>
> None of those listed seem to be mp3 players.

Amarok is most certainly an mp3 player... and much more.  It's quite
possibly the most full feature music player on any OS.  I tend to use
iTunes, personally, due to all of my AAC files but I would vastly prefer
to run Amarok if I could.

I'm not sure what distribution you are running, but there is a better
than average chance that if you fired up Amarok right now, it wouldn't
play your mp3s.  Why?  Because mp3 contains patented algorithms and
decoding files (i.e., "playing them") requires paying licensing fees.
Most of the major distributions (including Fedora, SUSE, Ubuntu, etc)
don't ship any mp3 support as a result and you have to add it yourself
later.