Which mp3 player to use?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Sep 4 00:31:12 MST 2006

.
Which mp3 player is best to use?

On my system, I see all these: KsCD, Amarok, Aumix, Grip, KAudioCreator, KMix,
RoseGarden, and Sound Recorder ... but no xmms.

None of those listed seem to be mp3 players.

Searching the net, I found the following mp3 players listed on one site:

MJS MP3 Jukebox System: MJS is a console mp3-player with some special features
not found in most console based mp3-players. It features a search function,
playlist saving and loading and an easy to use interface.

XAudio: Xaudio is a fast and robust, multi-platform solution for digital
playback, especially targeted at MPEG Audio (MP1, MP2, and MP3) decoding. It
is offered in the form of a developer's kit (SDK), which includes the Xaudio
decoding engine.

Zinf Audio Player: The Zinf audio player is a simple, but powerful audio
player for Linux and Win32. It supports MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, WAV and Audio CD
playback, SHOUTcast/Icecast HTTP streaming, RTP streaming, a powerful music
browser, theme support and a download manager.

mpg123: mpg123 is a real time MPEG Audio Player for Layer 1,2 and Layer3. It
hasn't been updated in some time.

mpg321: mpg321 is a Free replacement for mpg123, a very popular command-line
mp3 player.

AlsaPlayer: AlsaPlayer is a new type of PCM player. It is heavily
multi-threaded and tries to excercise the ALSA library and driver quite a bit.
It has some veryinteresting features unique to Linux/Unix players.

Recommended! X Multimedia System: A very popular Linux MP3 player that is very
similar to WinAmp. It also supports similar hotkey keyboard functions to those
supported by WinAmp.

How is one supposed to determine which are the best options?