Samba setup assistance

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Fri Sep 1 13:55:04 MST 2006

On 9/1/06 1:48 PM, "Joseph Sinclair" <plug-discuss at stcaz.net> wrote:
> When DHCP is used for all systems, then things like DNS addresses and default
> gateways are provided by DHCP, and needn't be hand-configured on every
> machine, allowing them to change without breaking the whole infrastructure.

That's the ideal state, but the problem always comes down to poorly coded
applications that end up with IP addresses in their config files.  It's far
too common.  This results in touching the server anyway.  I'm not arguing
against this approach for address management, it's just not the whole story
(usually).

...Kevin