Samba setup assistance

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Fri Sep 1 11:24:44 MST 2006

I agree with Craig's reply.  That's essentially the process I followed with
every Samba install.  I will add that wormdows sometimes needed several
minutes (an hour?) to begin seeing stuff in "network neighborhood".
Extremely frustrating.  While you are waiting, you can use the `smbclient -L
{ip address}` command on the OSX & Ubuntu boxen to see the shares and
printers on the M$ box.  If memory serves, you can use the `nbstat -an {ip
address} command to view shares and printers on the OSX & Ubuntu boxen.

On 9/1/06 10:26 AM, "Craig White" <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> The first thing to realize is that 'servers' shouldn't get their ip
> addresses from DHCP because their ip addresses can change without
> warning which tends to cause a lot of unnecessary frustration.

This brings up a completely unrelated, but funny story.  I once had a client
who was a "datacenter" manager overseeing a few dozen corporate servers.  He
insisted on using DHCP addressing for his servers over my objections.

He argued (quite persuasively) that he would rather use DHCP reservations
and type the MAC addresses into a central DHCP server instead of touching
each server to type in it's static address.  That way if he ever needed to
change addressing on a server or group of servers, he could simply do it
from the DHCP scope and renew the effected leases immediately.

Hmm.  I still speak with him occasionally and we continue to argue over
this.  :-)

...Kevin