Puzzled about wireless WEP

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Sep 1 07:29:43 MST 2006

FoulDragon at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 31.Aug.2006 23.39.29 US Mountain Standard Time,
> lthielster at gmail.com writes:
>
>> Today I replaced my old Linksys 802.11b wireless AP/router/4 port switch
> with a Linksys >WRT54G (sorry, thought I had bought the GL but...).  I configured
> it to use 128 bit WEP >instead of the 64 bit I had been using.
>
> :looks at his own WRT54G setup page:
>
> The 128-bit mode is really just 104-bit... it only accepts a 26-digit key.
>
> -Did you set the router's 'incoming MAC filter'?  Maybe it's refusing your
> card because you tightened the filter too tight.
>
> -Maybe the software is set to seek out the 'easiest target' network... one of
> my desktops used to keep trying to hook into a network several houses away,
> with a 8% signal level, because it was unencrypted.
>
> I know 802.11b can work... my WRT54G talks happily to my prehistoric (early
> 2003) Belkin 802.11b PCMCIA card.
>
> Does it work when the WEP is turned off?
>
> And lastly, is it perhaps a reception thing?  I get *terrible* coverage out
> of my WRT54G:  the PC in the same room gets 80-100%, but one wall/one
> floor/about 10 metres away,. we're down to maybe 30 percent.

I had about 40% on a WRT54G going through a wall/floor at my former home. I
built a couple reflectors for it out of cardboard, toothpicks, glue and
aluminum foil and got about 10% improvement. Let me know if you'd like the
web site where I got the plans (I'd have to hunt for it). You need a fairly
precise arc for it to work properly/well.

--
-Eric 'shubes'