oldest software in use?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Thu Nov 30 09:55:44 MST 2006

.
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:02:44 -0600 (CST), Jeremy C. Reed wrote
> I was was wondering what is the oldest software in use.
> What is the oldest software that you use?

I have a whole bunch of shell script utilities dating back to
the early 1980s, several of which I still use every day in my
work; and there is nothing new that even begins to approach their
speed, usefulness, and efficiency.

One in particular that I originally named 'zip' but later renamed
'jig' (and linked to just 'j' for convenience) is a multi-function
command-line tool that I probably use an average of 50 times or more
*every* day.

I'm not sure of the original date of its creation, but the latest
revision was August 4, 1989.

'jig' allows me to access any text file and perform long list of
operations on any given file with a single hot-key keystroke. I can
read the file, scroll back and forth through it, search for key words
and phrases content within the file, edit it, copy it, print it,
extract selected segments from within it, sort the contents, even
total dollar amounts within the file, and many other functions.

Moreover, I have cloned 'jig' to many dozens of other filenames
so I can just type the file name and perform all these operations
on each of those files without having to go to the nuisance of
finding where the target file is and having to waste all the extra
energy required to type the extra letter 'j' and then the target
file name.

'jig' was first developed on an old Tandy Unix box, then converted
to SCO Xenix, then to SCO Unix, and finally to Linux where it has
been modified several times to adapt to different versions of
Linux peculiarities.  I even made a 'dumb-dos' version that has
very limited capabilities.

One of these days, if there is any interest, perhaps I'll give a
little demo at a PLUG user group meeting.

joe