Processor speed

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Wed Nov 29 08:19:53 MST 2006

> I have no idea what kind of system you're running, but in my
> experience the best way to enhance response time is to drop in a
> faster (rotationally) disk.  The 5-10ms you save accessing a new file
> makes a noticeable difference.

I would agree. The bottle kneck of todays pc is no longer ram or processor,
but hard drives. Even fast hard drives are really slow. Find a hard drive
with a large buffer and a higher rotational speed, like 7200 min. And if your
system supports it, make sure you are using an 80 pin cable, not the old 40
pin cables. I'm still seeing brand new systems coming with the old 40 pins on
hdd.

Depending on the age of your system, if you can over clock it, it has always
been faster to actually under clock the processor a bit, but speed up the
bus.

Example:

A Pentium 3 1.0 ghz running on a 100mhz system bus will not be as fast as the
same processor clocked at 933 but running at 133 mhz bus, or even 112 bus.
But be careful, your video card is usually the first to choke on an over
clocked bus, so if you experience problems, start your troubleshooting there.

nathan