root user and any GUI

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 13:56:35 MST 2006

Darrin, I agree 100%.  I normally never use root except when I need to do a
lot of things that require root.  sudo is not just tedious for that but
sometimes also requires special syntax/quoting.  My usage is on a private
network where I am generally the only user and with no public physical
access so I am really not concerned about security.  My most recent need was
exploring backup utilities where the backup directories and files were all
owned by root and doing anything with them required root priviledges.

The reverse side of the coin is also true tho.  If I do happen to be using
the root user but wish to use a gui based tool normally invoked from a GUI,
I am unlikely to know how to invoke it from a command line.  And THAT is one
reason I would like to, and see no harm in, being able to run gnome or
whatever as root.  It's not to do it normally, its not a security concern
(except for the damage potential as root which is probably a bigger danger
on the command line), it is strictly usability on those occasions I have a
good reason to be root.

So once again, I would like to be capable of using a gui desktop and gui
tools while logged in a root when I as sole proprietor of my network and
computing facilities decide to do so.  I want the freedom and do not want my
OS to prevent me.  My risk and my freedom.  Like I said I use sudo for most
such things but just hate being a second class citizen (unable to use
MYchoice of tools) when I decide to be root.

On 11/28/06, Mike Garfias <mike at garfias.org> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2006, at 10:15 AM, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that works. :)
> >
> > Still, if the only thing I will be doing as a normal user is sudo bash
> > then I might as well log on as root, right?
>
> My general rule of thumb is use a root shell when i'm running more
> than a few commands as root.  If I just need root to move a file or
> some such, then I sudo <command> and don't get the root shell.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss