sleeping processes and swap

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 00:31:58 MST 2006

Are you sure your system cannot use 2 or 3 sticks of 256 MB?  While I would
not suggest you buy them for that machine, maybe we could find some in a
parts bin somewhere.

If you run sudo lshw and look for the memory section it might look something
like:
     *-memory
          physical id: 36
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 1GB
        *-bank:0
             product: PartNum0
             vendor: Manufacturer0
             physical id: 0
             serial: SerNum0
             slot: DIMM0
             size: 512MB
             width: 64 bits
        *-bank:1
             product: PartNum1
             vendor: Manufacturer1
             physical id: 1
             serial: SerNum1
             slot: DIMM1
        *-bank:2
             product: PartNum2
             vendor: Manufacturer2
             physical id: 2
             serial: SerNum2
             slot: DIMM2
             size: 512MB
             width: 64 bits
        *-bank:3
             product: PartNum3
             vendor: Manufacturer3
             physical id: 3
             serial: SerNum3
             slot: DIMM3
which would say what kind of slots you have (what kind of memory to look
for).

On 11/28/06, Michael Havens <bmike101 at cox.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:39:21 -0700, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The only way he could be maxxed on ram is if he has 3 slots with 128Mb
> > memory in each.  If he has 2 slots or 4 then he has to be running
> > different
> > sized sticks in one or more and can't be maxxed out.  If his motherboard
> > cannot handle over 384 MB it has to be from the 1980's or so and is
> > probably
> > a PII or less so almost anything graphic can eat the machine using
> > X-windows.
> >
> > Michael, please open a terminal and issue these 2 commands and post the
> > output here:
> >      cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep name
> >      cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem
>
> it is an AMD K6 3D processor
> total memory: 385264
> free memory:  6660
>
> Your first guess is correct..... 3 slots with 128MB..... you're good!
> :~)MIKE(~:

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss