sleeping processes and swap

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 21:39:21 MST 2006

The only way he could be maxxed on ram is if he has 3 slots with 128Mb
memory in each.  If he has 2 slots or 4 then he has to be running different
sized sticks in one or more and can't be maxxed out.  If his motherboard
cannot handle over 384 MB it has to be from the 1980's or so and is probably
a PII or less so almost anything graphic can eat the machine using
X-windows.

Michael, please open a terminal and issue these 2 commands and post the
output here:
     cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep name
     cat /proc/meminfo | grep Mem

On 11/27/06, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 06:47:20PM -0700, Michael Havens wrote:
> > it is always this way....
>
> Opera is? Always using lots of cpu? That's just no good.
>
> > how do I stop any servers from startin? I think I may have done tha when
> > put the system on this box. How do I get ALL of top to print; you know
> > like a snap shot rather than a constantly running program.
>
> Maybe someone else can spot something. I didn't see any hogs apart from
> the apps you were running. You might try a more lightweight terminal
> program like aterm. But really, it looked like Opera was the big hog.
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
> http://www.stilyagin.com/  |

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss