GAG boot loader needs improvement IMHO

JT Moree moreejt at pcxperience.com
Fri Nov 24 15:04:34 MST 2006

Anyone here know assembler and want to pick up a project?

BACKGROUND
I have started using the GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net) boot loader
instead of grub to manage my multiple OSes because it is small and self
contained and does not require files to be in a partition (i know.
that's the reason FOR using grub in the first place)

Every time I do a new install of an OS i have been putting the boot
loader in the root partition.  some installers dont give you that option
and blow away grub in the MBR.  Since my MBR GRUB was not tied to a
particular OS but to the system overall (i faked it into working this
way) it is never easy to get grub set back the way I want it.

Hence the reason for using GAG.  if GAG gets blown away I simply boot
sysrescuecd and re-install it.  I don't have to worry about having a
running distro and pointing grub files to correct locations.  I have
toyed with the idea of making a specialized grub boot distro that works
more like this--if you know of one already please bring it to my attention.)

THE PROJECTS
GAG works great but looks like Win 3.1.  I'd like to make it look
better.  There are some issues:
1) It is written in assembler--i don't know how to program assembler and
looking at the code hasn't helped.
2)  It's in Borland Turbo Assembler

PROJECT #1
 find a TASM compatible free software assembler.  been trying with no
success.  popasm says it supports tasm syntax but project is dead and
code doesn't work.

  port GAG from turbo assembler (TASM) syntax to something else that can
be compiled with free software

  Find borland TASM.  if you have borland's turbo assembler and are not
using it or know where it can be legally downloaded I would like to try
to compile GAG using it.  or you can compile GAG for me but I still
can't program in assembler so this project is only marginally helpful.

#4 HACK GAG.  make changes to GAG so it looks like this
http://pcxperience.org/jt/gag/mockup.jpg
instead of looking like this
http://gag.sourceforge.net/pics.html

#5 IMPROVE GAG.  I have a whole page dedicated to ideas on making GAG
themes.
http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?GagThemes

If someone can do 4 or 5 we can send the code to the original developer
to compile it but that seems like a very inefficient way to develop code.

OTHER INFO
I am not tied to a particular OS for these projects.  FreeDOS works just
as well as Linux.  Windows is even an option since most of us have it.
The key component is using Free Software to compile the GAG program
(which is GPL'd).

Thank you for taking the time to read this entire email.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.