sbackup - looking for info

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:05:12 MST 2006

sbackup already contains the means to define what to save.  It even has the
means to save over the network for folks who have one and can set up the
shared disk access (including security).  The only missing part is writing
to a CD.  The sbackup site shows that has been a future project for some
time.

Meaning the project is essentially reduced to scripting a means to write the
backups to a CD.  Ideally in a multisession mode so the incremental backups
are added to the existing CD.  IOW, sbackup could be set up to do regular
backups as a full backup followed by incrementals.  The destination would be
local hard disk for some folks but could be NAS or shared disk somewhere.
The user would periodically put in a CD.  If the CD was blank, the full
backup and all subsequent incrementals would be copied to the CD as a
session.  If the CD already contained backups, the script would write any
additional incrementals to another session on the CD.

One thing I do not know about that scheme is whether the multisession CD
could be used for a restore to a new drive after installing an OS and
sbackup.  IOW, I do not understand any ramifications of a multisession CD
which had never been "finalized" if that is a meaningful question.

Hopefully that clears up the question a bit.  sbackup actually looks fairly
complete exceot for that piece although much of that opinion is based solely
on reading rather than experience.