local recycling/refurbishing

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Nov 19 12:13:32 MST 2006

Am 19. Nov, 2006 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

> I do volunteer at AZStRUT (Atizona Students Recycling Used Technology).  We

Thanks for volunteering!

> Less commonly we have put Linux on machines and have tried to convince the
> powers that be to let us do that more often but they tell us the end users
> don't like that.  I bring it back up from time to time but with little
> success.

I would like to speak to the powers that be over there at some point. Not
until after the end of the year as things stand for me right now. I have
tried to contact them multiple times in the past and have never gotten

PLUG, if we have volunteers willing to help, could offer to provide
expertise and support for GNU/Linux on boxen from AZStRUT.

We could also provide advice for schools and non-profits that get
computers from AZStRUT.

> One of the schools [that I know of] did start putting Ubuntu on some
> machines thanks to Carl Strickland, another student and their teacher.  Carl
> and the other student had re-mastered a CD to have a number of functions
> useful to the recycling including installing a fixed subset of Ubuntu.  I do
> not know the current stae of that project.

I'd heard about that project, but was also told that it had died when the
student moved on :(.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators  https://LOPSA.org/
#  "Communications without intelligence is noise;
#  Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
#  Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC