CENTOS 4 - kernel module

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Nov 17 12:05:20 MST 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 13:40 -0700, Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. wrote:
>> I am trying to compile a kernel module so that I can install Centos 4 on a
>> new computer I have.  The mother board uses the ITE IT8212 driver for the
>> SATA controller.  The motherboard came with the drivers for various Linux
>> platforms that utilize the 2.4.x kernel.  My problem is that I have not been
>> able to find a pre-compiled kernel module for Centos 4 (2.6.x kernel) and
>> have not been able to compile from source.  Does anyone have experience with
>> motherboards with this controller or know where I can find a pre-compiled
>> driver?
> ----
> I certainly don't see anything on bugzilla.redhat.com with that
> information.
>
> What does system see when you boot up and do lspci -vv for the
> controller?
>
> Are you in 'legacy mode' in BIOS or in full SATA mode?
>
> Is this a RAID controller? Are you expecting hardware RAID on a system
> that really is fake RAID and not true hardware RAID?
>
> Are you using CentOS 4.4. disks (they [Red Hat] added more SATA
> drivers)?
>
> Craig

I'm not familiar with that (pretty much any) controller. I'm guessing though
that you'd only need the module for 2.4 kernels, and that the 2.6 kernel
would be able to handle it as is. Otherwise, I'd expect the MB to come with
drivers for the 2.6 kernel too. Are you sure you need a kernel module for
the 2.6 kernel?

--
-Eric 'shubes'