Running linux in a RAM drive, was flash bootable Linux

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Thu Nov 16 23:16:49 MST 2006

You can do this with some distributions, although all the ones I've heard of are based off a LiveCD (there are slight modifications to the kernel and some other configuration changes needed to make it work, and most are the same changes needed to make a LiveCD work).
Puppy is one example of a distribution that runs from RAM when installed to the HD (or any other configuration).
I believe Knoppix can actually be installed to an HD, and the toram boot option might work in that configuration as well.
There have been others that have done this, but it's generally uncommon, mostly because it limits the installed size of the system pretty severely (the entire system has to fit in a reasonable amount of RAM), and it's of limited value (most systems do a fairly good job of caching the disk to speed up the system without the limitations of an all-in-RAM solution).
I know there are tools to help you customize a Debian system; I suspect that these could be used to create your own personalized Debian system that runs entirely from RAM, as long as you're willing to limit the size of the system to a subset of your RAM (you still need room to run all those apps, figure 1/4 of your RAM for the ramdisk, the rest needed to actually run the system, but if you have 4-8G of RAM, then I say go for it).

==Joseph++