Video Cards/linux

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 15:41:05 MST 2006

1Poor Nathan, stuck between a 'rock' and a 'hard
place'! I hope you can work it out with the ceo's and
managers!

Oh, I run linux...except for w95 box for some ham
radio stuff! This machine doesn't have windoze on it
and it is the MAIN machine! IF I could get those pesky
ham radio programs to work...

Ed/ke7feg

--- Nathan England <nathan at paysonlinux.org> wrote:

> Craig,
> I appreciate your input and I agree with you. But
> back to reality...
> My corporation is interested in saving money from
> the licenses, but as far as
> what the licenses entail, they request that I make
> the best decision based on
> what the company needs. Of course I agree with the
> open license vs.
> proprietary. But the company heads know linux isn't
> there on the desktop yet,
> because that is what they read in their ceo mags.
> Meanwhile we all know it
> works just fine. I don't know how many people on
> this list actually use
> linux, let alone use it full time. I think there are
> only a couple of us that
> are 100% linux all the time. Proves a point that
> even the linux groups still
> use windows, so how am I to convince ceo's based on
> facts like that?
>
> They look at it and say, ok, it does the basics that
> we want. But you know,
> that new Vista sure is pretty!
>
> So I can throw AIGLX on and say, yeah, but look!
> Linux is just as pretty, and
> even a little faster!
> Who cares about eye candy? Truth be told, they see
> it can do it and think it
> is as advanced as Vista or even XP. They have no
> clue that it took Vista 5
> years to get Aero right, and it's still wrong,
> meanwhile Beryl has been going
> less than a year and it rocks!
>
> So, while I agree with your points that open
> licensing and source is much
> better in just about every case, corporate heads
> don't always see that,
> especially when they don't see how to make money off
> something that is given
> away. Nonetheless I work for a government branch, so
> we're not making money
> off this, but still, they want to know they are
> moving forward in technology,
> not backwards, and the mags they read don't always
> give the best light on
> Linux because you  can't run MS Office on it.
>
> nathan
>

> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 09:42, you wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 09:12 -0700, Nathan England
> wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a machine with a new video card.
> I haven't had much luck
> > > with a few of the older Radeon based cards, and
> I love the nVidia cards,
> > > however, the machine I am purchasing only has an
> ATI Radeon X600SE.
> > >
> > > I'm not going to play games, and this is a Linux
> only box, however, I
> > > would like to play with AIGLX and all the new
> fancy eye candy.
> > >
> > > How do you like the performance of the newish
> ATI cards and how well do
> > > they work? The ones I've used recently just
> seemed really flaky,
> > > especially compared to the nVidia cards and my
> personal favorite the
> > > Intel i915 based cards.

> [...]

Ed Culbertson/ke7feg
Remember Katrina?
For several days, only hams could get out,
and talk to others dependably.

No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee's. Interested? http://www.arrl.org/

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.