Video Cards

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Nov 14 10:30:37 MST 2006

The only way to know what dog food tastes like is to eat it.

Take a machine that is properly configured and put it on company heads
desk and let him use it for a week.

Either he makes it work and then it's a done deal or he can't make it
work and argument finished. If you have a system that's up to snuff, it
should be self-evident.

Keep in mind that Advanced Desktop on Vista requires a 256MB video card
with accelerated graphics and to obtain similar performance on Linux,
you are locking yourself into non-open source drivers which surely isn't
how I want to sell an open source OS.

As for not being able to run Microsoft Office on Linux...

- Open Office opens/saves .doc/.xls/.pps files (as well as their
template brethren)
- These file types are soon to be extinct
- Open Office also opens/saves open document format (link provided last
email)
- Microsoft Office does not open/save open document formats
- Open Office also includes Draw & Base at no extra cost
- Open Office is free, open source, freely distributable
- Microsoft Office (depending upon flavor) costs between $300 - $600 per
user

The only issue Microsoft Office presents is Outlook which is murderous
if you are not using Exchange Server and if you are using Exchange
Server, you get it free anyway.

Craig