Wanted: Flash Drive bootable Linus Info.

Mark Jarvis mark.jarvis at pvmail.maricopa.edu
Mon Nov 13 23:39:10 MST 2006

I would like to install a small Linux distro on a flash drive--I mean
REALLY install, with a /home/userid I can save things in, a /etc that
would save a few printers, and so on. I "installed" Puppy Linux on a
flash drive last weekend.  It works--but it's really just a "Puppy Linux
Live Flash Drive". It's just the same as the live CD version, except
faster. Every place I've looked so far seems to be about the same:
here's how to create a "live flash drive" installation.

Yes, I know that going through the setup every time makes it possible to
boot up on boxen w/ different hdw. I can live with that. What's missing
is the ability to save files in a natural manner.

Can anyone point me to a distro & instructions for creating a true flash
drive installation, preferably on a 1GB or smaller flash drive?  I would
like to use this in a classroom situation, so even a flash drive
installation that only worked on one machine would be useful.

Here's hoping . . .

Thanks,

-mj-