Ubuntu vs. Apple [WAS: Re: Novel and Microsoft]

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:45:19 MST 2006

Ubuntu has a great deal of momentum.  While I don't think that the current
release is quite comparable to Mac OSX, I do think that in 2 or 3 releases
it will be a solid contender.  There are leagues of people working on and
using Ubuntu at this time.

OSX is sometimes in opposition due to Apple's DRM strategy( Itunes, etc. ).
DRM and Open Source don't appear to be friends at this point, and Apple
knows this.  OSX makes sense for a few (shrinking ) pockets of people.  It
was an excellent alternative to Microsoft several years ago, but I think
there are better options today.  I tend to think that Novell recognized the
threat that Ubuntu posed to their business and the partnership was the
result.  jmz

On 11/13/06, Austin Godber <godber at uberhip.com> wrote:

> Alan Dayley wrote:
> get
> >
> > I know or know of about 8 Linux users that have migrated to the Mac.
> > Yep, they went out and bought one and stayed with it.  Some people like
> > them.
>
> I pretty much use both Mac and Ubuntu on the desktop at this point.
> Both have their weaknesses but combined, one can have a pleasant and
> complete user experience.  If Mac nails virtual desktops with Spaces in
> leapoard my Linux desktop usage will probably drop even more.  It is
> hard to get used to the Mac UI especially if you are used the using the
> keyboard for most everything.  But with quicksilver to launch
> applications and Virtue Desktop I can hobble along pretty effectively on
> a Mac.  Without those two, it would be unusable.
>
> I still roll with Linux on the back end of course.
>
> Austin

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.
.0100. appeal.

JOSHUA M. ZEIDNER
IT Consultant

++power; ++perspective; ++possibilities;
( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com