Novel and Microsoft

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Nov 12 15:45:05 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 10:12 -0700, Ray Cantwell wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 07:45 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:

> >> Software Freedom Law Center granted confidential access to the
> >> Novell-Microsoft agreement contracts:
> >>
> >> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2168151/novells-opens-microsoft
> >>
> >> - --[from the article]--
> >> "The SFLC has been offered cooperation by Novell sufficient to permit a
> >> confidential audit to determine whether the licence provisions of the
> >> GPL have been complied with," SFLC chairman Eben Moglen told vnunet.com.
> >> - --[end quote]--
> >>
> >> Looks to my like Novell is trying to provide the FS community assurance
> >> that it is still a member in good standing.  It will be interesting to
> >> see how this all turns out.
> >>
> > ----
> > FYI - just released
> >
> > http://news.samba.org/announcements/team_to_novell/
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Has anyone heard if Linus or RMS has made any kind of statement on this
> issue?
----
it would seem odd that RMS would venture an opinion now that the FSLC
has committed to review the agreement. Perhaps after the FSLC has
studied the agreement and taken a position, RMS might have something to
say but I think we already sort of know what it's gonna be.

it would seem that Linus' wouldn't have an axe to grind at this point. I
wonder if this event might cause the kernel developers group to change
their stance on GPL v3 though.

Either way, it's difficult for them to say much because people might
have trouble distinguishing their personal opinions from other
organizations that they represent/belong to.

Craig