Java WAS ogg friendly stream

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Nov 11 18:06:43 MST 2006

Set of short answers:
  The correct variable is JAVA_HOME, you'll usually have to set this yourself.
  Firefox uses a plugin, not the JRE directly.  The gcjwebplugin always uses gij, never the sun JRE
  There is NOTHING in a Linux system that specifically requires the GIJ interpreter, and anything that is really looking for Java
    will work with the Sun JVM.  Programs compiled with GCJ don't need any JVM, they're native binaries at that point.
  GCJ/GIJ is not really a JVM, and the gcjwebplugin is far from spec-compliant.  I just haven't gotten around to installing a Sun plugin in FF.
  Java is relatively insensitive to 32/64 bit issues.  The Sun JVM for AMD64 works just beautifully on my system (Dev support for Tomcat/Geronimo)
  You can install as many JVM's as you like, none will cause any harm to the others as long as they're in different directories.
  OO.o doesn't work with any *released* JVM except the Sun JVM right now.

==Joseph++